Start at the beginning... Intro Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Monday, May 12, 2008

Mysterious Duffle-Bag

"Ummmmm..." I delayed my response while wondering if there was a reason I should lie to this guy and tell him the seat was taken? "No!" I exclaimed, "that seat is open." Just as I said that a giant green duffle-like bag plopped into the empty seat... and he sat down in the seat beside his bag. We sat in a row: me, the enormous bag and then him. He pulled out a little notebook and started reading it, adding scribbles to it periodically. I realized he was just going to keep to himself, so I pulled my book back out and tried to read it.

My mind drifted though, to the big bag next to me. I wondered what it was packed so tightly with, why it was SO jam packed? From the corner of my eye I caught a stamped name on his bag that read "Douglas." Guess that was his last name. What a boring name, I thought. It's like his whole life must be inside this bag, it was bulging and ripped in spots. The fabric was definitely stretched to the max. This bag must have weighed a hundred pounds.

The mystery of this bag was within, the outside was stark. I realized I was being a "snoop," and shifted my eyes back down to my boring book. I had been "reading" more from this duffle bag than the book in front of me! Just as I forced myself back to reading, the soldier next to me asked "Are you going to Houston, flight 240?" I replied yes, and explained that they delayed the flight because of the storms. Told him I was waiting around to hear an update, but that there had been no news yet. "I see, cool... so I have time to get food?" "Oh yeah," I replied. Then he looked over at me and asked "Do you want anything from Best Burger?" I wasn't really hungry because I had been munching on airport food all day, but had a feeling he wanted me to eat something with him... so I said "sure, how about one of their strawberry shakes, I'm in the mood for something sweet. Oh and, here, use this pile of change to pay - it's weighing my purse down." He smiled and said "Cool. I'm Dan by the way... what's your name?" "Dee," I replied, "thanks."

No comments: