Start at the beginning... Intro Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Break-Up Text



Tom's flight was supposed to land at 8am, I planned to pick him up around 8:15. At 6am Saturday morning my cell woke me jumping around on the bedside table buzzzzzzzzing. I reached over for it in a drowsy confusion...

I had 1 new text message, it read (From Tom Cell) "Delayed in Boston, t-storms. Won't be home 2day or 2morrow. Actually, I'm staying in Boston for awhile. Boss got me transferred + relocation pkg. This is my dream, call you 2night I need some of my things."

I dropped my phone and sat up. I was awake now. Knew it wasn't a joke, because Tom isn't a funny guy. "What??" I said to King as he too was now awake and staring at me for food. "What??" I repeated softly. "WHAT!?!?!" I shouted! King scrambled off the bed and looked back at me with a glance of concern. I picked my cell off the floor and re-read the message. Yeah, it really said that - and I wasn't dreaming.

Wow, the nerve! The nerve to text me that at 6am Saturday morning. A break-up text! Not one abbreviated note or line about me, and where we stand as a couple! No "can we talk?" - nothing! I was livid but most of all amazed, shocked, just frozen. How could he do that? My head already hurt from thinking and since I was up my body craved coffee. Then, my head fell to the pillow and I started crying. Seemed like the right thing to do, the only thing to do. My tears soaked my pillow until I fell back asleep.

If King hadn't been so hungry for breakfast I probably would have slept all morning, but his persistent meowing paid off, and he woke me. I got up to feed him and with the intention of going back to bed. However, as I was spooning fancy-feast onto King's dish a tear drop fell onto his food. I realized if I followed my normal break-up patterns I'd be in mourning for about 2 weeks. My life would be paused, and filled with sad songs, greasy food, bad hair, sluggish energy and a grumpy mood. "What for?" I asked. Humm... What if this time is different? What if instead of falling into that miserable mode I swung back with a punch and resisted that drama? Turning disappointment into motivation. "Yes," I decided, "that is what I'm going to do." King looked at me with curiosity.

So, to kick off this new attitude I hit "reply" to Tom's 6am text and wrote: "Thanks for the wake-up text. I'll donate your things to the shelter on 3rd St. May the luck of Boston be with you." Then I inserted a smiley (wink) to conclude the message. ;)

No comments: