Start at the beginning... Intro Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Not A Secretary's Shoe


Right now I'm a secretary at a busy advertising agency, "Peak Point." I have nothing in common with my coworkers, and I'm tired of trying to fit into their click. Today, Jenny (the Assistant Manager of Coordinating and part owner) informed me that my heels were "too loud and distracting for the secretary." She went into a whole thing about how I'm supposed to be a representative of the agency and that I need to look more professional. Jenny was talking so fast that I didn't have to say a word except "OK" before she walked away. Oh, then at the end of the day I got an email copying the entire managerial staff that I was counseled on my appearance and agreed to work on a more professional look. Isn't that insane? My shoes aren't even visible since I'm stuck behind the desk all day.


This job just isn't "me." I shouldn't feel like an alien because I drink gas station coffee instead of Starbucks, I'm a beanery club member and every 5th cup at the station is free! Or, because I shop at Walmart and actually prefer it to Target. Or, how about the fact that I don't know one character on "Gray's Anatomy!" This obsession with these things is scary. It's not just in the agency either, it's everywhere! If someone says they need their "Starbucks fix," assume they also wouldn't be caught dead in Walmart or God forbid, K-Mart... and they are addicted to "Gray's Anatomy!" The point is, this just isn't my crowd and there is more to life than coffee drinks served in confusing cup sizes!!

Luckily - I don't consider this secretary thing my career. In fact, kill me now if this is all that I'll end up doing with myself! I am an artist at heart, but struggle to succeed with that because of a variety of personal flaws. To name a few: I'm not self-motivated, I procrastinate, I'm easily distracted, I rarely follow through with things, I can't make decisions, I'm an over-spender, I'm anxious, I lack confidence and I'm unorganized.

I was handed this secretary position from an Aunt with a connection. She new I needed a job, so put in a good word for me and here I am. I've been here for just over a year now and yearning to get back on track with my painting. Just need to find a way out of this rut.

In the meantime, I have already picked out tomorrow's shoes... they're big bright multi-colored stripes of green, chartreuse, pink and black. ;)

No comments: